Sage 50 Unable to Run Payroll Updates Freezing Up
When trying to open Sage 50 application after installing the latest update, you may get this error with an error message stating that a problem occurred while upgrading the database. And the error still persists even after performing the instruction given on the screen.
Such an issue can really become frustrating and can also hamper the smooth functioning of your business. Read further to learn the cause of this error and steps to resolve it.
Cause of Sage 50 Unable to Run Payroll Updates Freezing Up
- Problems occurred in the database password.
- Data corruption.
- An earlier failed upgrade.
- Trying to unlock old shortcut pinned to Windows Taskbar.
- Using Windows 7/8/10 and Sage 50 application isn’t set to “run as administrator”.
- Some other user has logged into Sage 50 using an older version when you are trying to run payroll updates.
Resolution for Sage 50 Unable to Run Payroll Updates Freezing Up
Icon Pinned To Taskbar
If your Sage 50 payroll icon is pinned to task bar on your Windows, you will receive the error message after upgrading. The first step to take is to unpin the icon from taskbar and then run payroll.exe file from program directory.
- Right-click on the Sage 50 Payroll icon located on taskbar.
- Next, choose “Unpin this program” from the taskbar
- Go to computer and then navigate the Program Directory.
- The program directory is located at C:\PROGRAM FILES(X86)\SAGE\PAYROLL by default.
- Double-click on the Payroll.exe.
- This should upgrade your data. If this doesn’t resolve the problem, continue the next step.
Optimize the Data
- Open your Sage 50 Payroll.
- On the Open Company window, click on the company of which you have received the error message.
- Click on Optimize > OK.
- Log in to your software again.
Clear Locks, Repair Database
- Make sure all users have logged out from Sage 50 Payroll.
- Go to Windows desktop and right-click on Sage 50 Payroll shortcut.
- Click on Properties and select the Shortcut tab.
- Click on Open File Location.
- Double-click on DBUtilities.exe file and select the required company.
- Click on Clear Locks > Yes > OK.
- Click on Repair > click > OK.
- Click on Repair again and click on OK.
- Click on Close and select Windows Explorer.
Now, Open to Sage 50 Payroll and attempt to upgrade the data again.
Accountingadvice Tech Support
After performing the given steps, the “Unable to Run Payroll Updates Freezing Up” error should be resolved. In case the issue still continues, immediately give us a call on . Our accountingadvice professionals are well trained, knowledgeable, and efficient in resolving any payroll issues. If you cannot reach us by phone, you can simply send us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing your issues. Also, chat with us live via Sage Chat Support.
Report Your Issue
(Didn't find what you were looking for! Report your issue and get customized help from our Sage experts.)