How to Use Sage Migration Tool
Sage 50 is one of the most important and well-known software for people dealing with accounting. Because of the great amount of functionality it provides, Sage 50 is extremely popular among business owners. Data migration is one such important feature provided in the Sage software. With this, you can easily move your data and programs to a new server.
Sage has incorporated in it an important tool named the Sage Migration Tool to facilitate data migration. It will also allow you to share files and settings between workstations. In this blog, we will look at how you can use this tool.
But before that, let’s turn our attention to some important aspects related to migration.
Points to Consider Before Starting the Sage Data Migration Process
Considering the important points below would help you avoid future issues related to migration-
- Make sure to take proper data backup
- Verify if your data is free from errors
- Sage migration tool works with 9.8 accounting update 6.3 and later. Therefore, upgrade the software to 6.3 before proceeding with the migration.
- To avoid issues later on, run your file on Sage.STO.ServerMigrator.exe (not on Sage.STO.ServerDataMigrator.exe)
- Validate if the new server has enough space for installation.
- Check if you have the administrative privileges for the new server. Also, minimize the read permission to the old server.
- To avoid future errors, check if your data, settings and reports are working properly on the new server
What is the Procedure to Use the Sage Migration Tool?
- Log in to the new server as an administrator
- Install the Sage Timberline Office Accounting. It will allow you to access the Sage Migration Tool on the new server
- Now launch the Sage migration tool on the new server, by browsing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Timberline Office\Shared)
- Run the Sage.STO.ServerMigrator.exe program
- Click Browse
- Locate the 9.5 folder on the old server
- Click on the Validate button to validate the log file path, old server location and new server location
- Click on the Migrate button to initiate the migration process
- Once complete, click on the Close button
- Review the Server Migration Log. It is usually located in the path- \\[servername]\Timberline Office\9.5\Accounting\Migration\. This will enable you to review the material migrated.
In the sections above, we have discussed some important points you should consider before starting data migration in Sage. We have also shown a step-by-step procedure to use the Sage Migration Tool. If you are still having any difficulties while using this tool or if you have any queries, you may get in touch with some of the authorized Sage experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is it important to minimize the read permission in the old server, before starting the Sage 50 migration process on a new server?
Before starting the migration process on a new server, you should minimize the read permission on the old server. This is because the migration process involves overwriting the security and company data on the new server.
How to migrate macros using the Sage Migration Tool?
🔹 Navigate to the ..\Timberline Office\Shared folder
🔹 Run the Sage.STO.ServerDataMigrator.exe program
🔹 Check the box in the Select column to choose the Company(ies) you want to migrate
🔹 Click on Migrate macros
🔹 Click on Change in the Server Data Migration – Macro Printers window. This is to specify the printer you wish to use after migration.
🔹 Select the Migrate macros tab
🔹 Review the ServerDataMigrationLog to check if the migration was successful
🔹 Select Close, once done
Why does the Sage Data Migration error occur on my system?
Many functional and technical issues may lead to the occurrence of this error. Some of these are given below-
🔹 While upgrading from a lower Sage version to a higher one, users fail to convert data from the old version to the new.
🔹 While performing Product Update, some users may forget to convert company data and data files to the specified format. This is one important reason why this issue occurs.
What error messages do appear when the Sage data migration errors occur?
You may encounter error messages of different types when this issue occurs on your system. These are –
🔹 “Data files have not been converted for this company…… Do you want to run Company Maintenance Now?”
🔹 “Data files have not been converted for this company …. Do you want to, open Library Master?” ( sometimes, the Main menu and Company Maintenance as well)
🔹 “Data files have not been converted for this company…… Do you want to open the Company Maintenance task window?”
Is it Easy to Upgrade from Sage 50 to Sage 100?
🔹 Yes. Upgrading or migrating from Sage 50 to Sage 100 is a fairly easy affair. Sage 100 is a true ERP system. If you want additional functionality to match your business growth, it has enough tools to offer. However, for smooth migration from Sage 50, you should consider the following points –
🔹 Set clear scopes and objectives before deploying the upgradation/migration process
🔹 Engage a dedicated team to oversee the process
Go in with a phased approach. Divide the entire process into well-defined & logical sections
Sage 50 is a premier accounting software that helps businesses and professionals perform their acco...
Sage accounting software is well-known for its perks but on another hand, sometimes users might enc...
When you work on Microsoft excel there may appear an error named excel runtime error 13 on the scre...
Sage Error 5100 “Microsoft .NET installation failure” usually happens when users are trying to inst...
Report Your Issue
(Didn't find what you were looking for! Report your issue and get customized help from our Sage experts.)